A new report published by the World Bank highlights that most countries will not be able to meet the goals they have set for the Millenium Development Goals (MDGs). The MDGs comprises 8 main areas:
- Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Achieve universal primary education
- Promote gender equality and empower women
- Reduce child mortality
- Improve maternal health
- Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases
- Ensure environmental sustainability
- Develop a global partnership for development
The report highlights that the main areas that require attention are child and maternal mortality. Urgent action is also required on issue of the environment and climate change.
To read the overview of the report – click here.